NORTH SHORE WARGAMES CLUB
Home | Other Links | News | Club Ancients Competition | Back to Ancients page | Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Ancient history and wargaming links
Romans | Carthaginians and Spanish | Greeks, Thracians, Macedonians | Persians, Indians | Chinese, Japanese, Mongols | Dark ages, crusades, early medievals | Medieval Europe | Rules, clubs, wargaming organisations | Ancient Historical Texts
Carthaginians and Spanish ^
Greeks, Thracians, Macedonians ^
- Alexander the Great welcomes you to his homepage.
- Everything Spartan, Lakonian and Messenian Includes a section on Spartan sayings which may be exclaimed during wargames.
- Hellenic Macedonia Ancient, Byzantine and Modern Macedonia.
- The Hoplite Equipment, time-line, Thermopylae, Marathon, female hoplites.
- The Hoplite Association A re-enactment society bringing the 5th Century BC to life.
- Thrace and the Thracians (c.700 BC to 46 AD) This page is the home of everything around 2,000 years old and a bit Thracian. That includes Skythian, Illyrian, Dacian, Paeonian, Bithynian, and Sarmatian. By Christopher Webber, the author of the Osprey book on the Thracians.
- Warfare in Hellas Greeks, Macedonians and Persians.
Persians, Indians ^
Chinese, Japanese, Mongols ^
Dark Ages, Crusades, Early Medievals ^
- 1066 and All That The Norman conquest of England and the Battle of Hastings.
- De Bellis in Terra Sancta Website on the Age of the Crusades (1050-1300 AD) by Brendan Moyle, author of the ruleset Shattered Lances.
- Regia Anglorum Anglo-Saxon, Viking, Norman, and British living history 850-1100AD.
Medieval Europe ^
Rules, clubs, wargaming organisations ^
- AncientBattles An unofficial Warhammer Ancient Battles website.
- Field of Glory FOG Ancients.
- BHGS The British Historical Games Society, especially strong on DBM gaming with some DBR material as well.
- Chariotmaster Chariot racing rules.
- DBA Online As the name suggests, an online version of the DBA game. DBA was the first of the DBx series of games, and the printed rules for the table-top game are into the second edition.
- DBM homepage Richard Bodley Scott's wargames page. RBS co-authored DBM with Phil Barker. His article, 'Fun with Fast Light Horse', includes this: "I am painting a mixture of pointy-hatted Donnington horse archer figures, so that I can plausibly use them as Skythians, Kushans, Hsiung Nu or Cumans. My daughter says they look like gnomes. She probably means gnomads." The latest official amendments to DBM version 3.1 are available to download from this site.
- DBMM DBMM is Phil Barker's long awaited successor rules system to the extremely successful DBM wargaming rules. The rule book was published in April 2007, and the army lists are now being revised. The rules can be ordered from the Caliver Books website.
- DBX Page The Nunawading Wargames Association site dedicated to De Bellis Multitudinis and associated DBx family of games; DBA, DBR & HOTT.
- The Die is Cast Designed to cover the rise and fall of the Roman empire. These rules are especially suited to refights of historical battles.
- Fanaticus A virtual community for DBA enthusiasts with lots of interesting things relating to many aspects of ancient and medieval warfare.
- Impetus A set of rules for Ancients, Medievals, and Renaissance wargaming. Rather popular with European wargamers. A basic version of the Impetus rules is available to download from the website.
- IWF The International Wargaming Federation.
- Luke Ueda-Sarson's homepage with ancient military history.
- MEDBAG New Zealand (or Middle Earth!) DBA site.
- Kiwi DBA forum NZ DBA forum launched in 2015.
- NASAMWNorth American Society of Ancient and Medieval Wargamers.
- Phil Barker's homepage The leading author of ancient wargaming rules since the 1960s.
- ** NEW LINK ** Society of Ancient Military Historians (SAMH) and their journal Res Militares.
- Society of Ancients An ancient society that has been around even longer than Phil Barker!
- Tabulae Novae Exercituum TNE has discussion and proposals for amended army lists and troop classifications for DBM and DBMM.
- Wargames Research Group The W.R.G. website includes the first edition WRG ancient rules. See where it all began in 1969 with just eleven pages of rules including advice on how to paint your Airfix Romans.
- Warmaster Ancients A Warhammer Historical game designed for 10-12mm figures, but playable in larger or smaller scales as well.
Ancient Historical Texts ^
This page last updated 3 October 2015